Sunday, August 2, 2009

Anyone with a MISSING "I" tooth?

I'm 16 and I have one missing "I" tooth. A couple of years ago my orthodontist said all he would have to do is reshape it, but he had to wait a couple years to let my teeth develop. He also said that I would not need braces. So, I went back months ago, and he found that I have a cross bite, so that would require me getting braces on my bottom teeth, and also that I would need to have an implant for my missing "I" tooth.


So, what I don't understand is why is it that before he


I needed to reshape that area, but now I need an implant?


Also, is an implant the best way to go? HAS ANYONE been in a similar situation!!!!

Anyone with a MISSING "I" tooth?
It is hard to give you a good answer without all the information (actually seeing your teeth, models, x-rays, etc.). Generally speaking, I would think that either choice would be a reasonable treatment plan for someone missing one canine ("I" tooth). Like I said, without the specific information it's hard to say which way I would recommend for you. I think you might want to go get a second opinion and talk to them about the two ways your orthodontist has told you about. Often, when getting a second opinion the dentist will be more free to explain the options because they won't be the one performing the treatment--so be sure and tell them that you'll be having whichever treatment you choose done by the other orthodontist, otherwise they might spend all their time trying to convince you to come to him or her instead. You should tell the second opinion orthodontist exactly what your orthodontist said and have them explain the good and bad things about each option.
Reply:Which one is the "I" tooth?





I am missing the tooth next to my front tooth. never had it. Grew up feeling fine until I went to a dentist and they made me start this whole braces and implant thing.





I have been in this whole braces fiasco for 4-5 years. I was happier without my tooth. Now I have a huge gap, that they opened up for the implant, and I am forced to live with that until I am done with treatment.





SUCKS. If your okay with it... then let it be.



Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net